The underlying story behind speedsurfingblog


Today somehow I felt I wanted to blog a little bit, just to have a bit windsurfing related stuff to do, my wetsuit has to many leaks and I can't use a cold now. As the followers of this blog know my energy and time spent in windsurfing or this blog has decreased dramatically since +- begin 2011. I think I never blogged why this happened, and now I am able to share the underlying story why this blog has changed.

2008 till 2011
In this period speedsurfingblog.com did grow at 100% - 700% per year.

What did happen begin 2011?
From begin 2010 till begin 2011 I was progressive full-on speedsurfer and proud of the speedsurfing community and growth. The question most asked when I decided one day to start a business in the Netherlands in the middle of the darkest economic crisis ever: why? And yes in 2011 I questioned myself several times the same question, why?

But why do it? I can answer now (at that point of time it was my gut telling me to do it). Speedsurfing evolved from dream to hobby (when I could buy a GPS as a kid), from hobby to sponsorship and lateron income generating "hobby". It was just pure pleasure for myself at start, being on the water with friends. The turning point was begin 2011: there was a bit of a struggle, performance was a bit down, I was actually focussed on everything but the fun that windsurfing gives. This was actually the third time within a year for me when I reached this point, I analysed by speaking with friends and recognized I lost drive and ambition. In the following weeks I didn't found a convincing method (with windsurfing at nr 1 priority) to break this cycle and grow again. After much consideration I chose to break the cycle and put windsurfing at an another priority (later on I figured out this is a common approach in philosophy). What did I do? I restarted the family business (which stopped short after my birth) and windsurfing was put on second and lateron third priority.


I learned starting a business is much like becoming a good speedsurfer/athlete etc. During 2011, 2012 and 2013 I have learned a lot of stuff that does relate to high performance. Later (2014 or soo) I will give you detailed insights what I learned so far. It is today easier to see what didn't work for my speedsurfing results. One thing I would like to share, for me it was the best decision ever to break the cycle. My girlfriend is convinced I will return as a strong speedsurfer one day, and I always tell her "that will be fun to do, but now windsurfing is just there as a hobby to keep me in balance".
I enjoy 99% of my current windsurfing sessions, which is good. The results are often mediocre or the equipment doesn't match perfectly but it doesn't matter. My last windsurf session was at the Alkmaardermeer with the iSonic 117 and Reflex 7.0, (yup I know a strange combo), it was weeks or a few months ago (way too long). I was literally flying around and having a challenge when hitting at high speed a windgap (that is when the nose of my board want to rocket into the sky).

My company is a groundwater consultancy company for everyone with groundwater issues or questions. If you like to know more about my company look here:
Nederlands Bemalingsadvies
English Dewatering Engineering Experts

Eriksurf

Erik is windsurfer for 10+ years. In his daily life he is professional in construction dewatering, advisor, troubleshooter. Erik likes adventures, explore and to challenge himself. During his life he is trying to get the best out of it and have respect for the earth, nature and future generations. The modern world is about sharing, in this blog Erik shares his experiences, selfreflection and lessons learned.

1 comment:

  1. Hey it was nice to hear from you, Eric. Glad to read your story, hope you have found your balance... Yes, sometimes there are many things more important than windsurfing, and its important to be focused on the right things...
    All the best,
    Magnum

    ReplyDelete