Amsterdam-Pampus-Almere


Today I used my 380 Phantom raceboard and a 8.3 cambered sail. The windsurf conditions turned out to be good at IJburg. There was an increasingly Northeasterly wind. I was not alone, there were at least 20 others on the water (and some onshore). Waves where moderate (something like 0,7~1,2 m). 

First I did some crosswind reaches, later I thought lets go a bit towards Pampus. I was halfway faster than expected (soo, I thought why not go all the way). On this first reach I used the daggerboard and a 3/4 front position of the masttrack. Now I analysed the "upwind speed" (speed against wind) was on the long run approx 5 km/hour. While the short reaches near Pampus turned out to be nearly average 10 km/hour, I remember to push harder near Pampus, this was because I just didn't make it. It turns out to be that pushing as tight as possible was faster (compared to balancing upwind).

upwind speed [km/h] with daggerboard

Second run
After I returned from Pampus I was tired. Using a daggerboard for a long distance in moderate chop/waves took my energy. Before I did a second run I changed my downhaul (a bit more) and I changed the fin. Now I used the Sonntag SL-S 450 instead of the standard Drake.

I chose a different strategy, I chose to go upwind without the daggerboard and plane. After analysis I see the following speed upwind:
upwind speed [km/h] when gliding

Conclusion
The second run was with more wind (17kn instead of 15kn). And it turns out upwind gliding wasn't much slower compared to pushing upwind with daggerboard, however the speed falls down rapidly when the wind decreases. Also the Sonntag Fin SL-S boosted the downwind speed significant, this is a surprise because with the Sonntag I didn't feel powered up and with the Drake I hardly felt very powered up (guess thats drag). But best lesson was, gliding was definitely less exhausting compared to going upwind with daggerboard. I will test it a few more times, but I think to prefer gliding (if the wind is allows).

Sonntag
100 m = 44.7 km/h
250 m = 43.94 km/h
500 m = 43.1 km/h
1000 m = 42.60 km/h
1852 m 41.93 km/h
10000 m = 36.31 km/h

Drake
100 m = 38.17 km/h
250 m = 37.23 km/h
500 m = 36.72 km/h
1000 m = 36.13 km/h
1852 m =35.67 km/h
10000 m = 30.52 km/h

session movescount:
http://www.movescount.com/moves/move107455632

Pretty cool stuff today :)

Eriksurf

Erik is windsurfer for 10+ years. In his daily life he is professional in construction dewatering, advisor, troubleshooter. Erik likes adventures, explore and to challenge himself. During his life he is trying to get the best out of it and have respect for the earth, nature and future generations. The modern world is about sharing, in this blog Erik shares his experiences, selfreflection and lessons learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment