[review] Suunto Ambit Peak 3 for windsurfing

This is not my first GPS for windsurfing. A long time ago I started with the Garmin Foretrex (also a watch). After losing a foretrex twice I got a amarillo triptracker (navi GT 11), for this GPS a aquapack was required around my arm. After this I bought two GT31 devices, one was lost during a sailing trip, the other one was lost in another way.

I never liked the aquapack+GPS around my arm, however  gps-speedsurfing demands the doppler gps for the 'official' rankings. I sold my GT 11 and later I bought this Suunto Watch. This is much much better again, its not too loose or tight. Its not heavy. A gps watch is just better in terms of design in my opinion.

Functionality
The GPS does everything, it works 2-3 sessions in a row. It displays speed, it can be used for navigation. It can even make a video of your track.

Could it be better?
I think soo, and yes I would buy the new one if these features would be added:
  1. tilted display: let me explain. A normal watch is used everywhere. However this sportswatch is most often used during activities. In my case windsurfing. When windsurfing (or riding a bike) your arms are fixed to the boom or steering weel, in this position it is actually impossible to get a good look at the display. It would be better if the display was orientated towards (45~70 degrees) to the arm. I know the watch would be thicker, however you can read it during sailing (wouldn't that be fun?);
  2. doppler gps: would be good if the GPS is approved according to gps-speedsurfing.com rules;
  3. an optional second bluetooth large display which can be mounted on the boom. Wouldn't it be fun to have a large display mounted on the boom. It doesn't need fancy colordisplay.
Verdict
Up till now, its the very best gps I ever had. Though, functional and many options to play. If you're a programmer it might be fun to know that you can write your own apps for this watch.

Eriksurf

Erik is windsurfer for 10+ years. In his daily life he is professional in construction dewatering, advisor, troubleshooter. Erik likes adventures, explore and to challenge himself. During his life he is trying to get the best out of it and have respect for the earth, nature and future generations. The modern world is about sharing, in this blog Erik shares his experiences, selfreflection and lessons learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment